Sunday, May 15, 2011

Gettin' Ready to Hit The Road

On Saturday, May 21, I will be driving my '53 GMC to South Bend, Indiana.  The annual Antique Truck Historical Society Show will be held there from Thursday May 26 - 28.  Once there, I will meet up with a few of my old truck buddies.

My first stop will be at my friend Professor Tim's in New York to pick up a few Rockwell lathe parts for my friend Andy in Minnesota.  Andy will be in South Bend to pick up the shipment.

From there I will swing south through Lancaster Country, Pennsylvania and head west through Dayton, Ohio.  I am planning a stop at the National Museum of the US Air Force . From Dayton I will swing north through Auburn, Indiana to visit the Auburn - Cord - Duesenberg Museum then on to South Bend.  Once in South Bend I have an appointment with the Notre Dame Fire Chief for a tour of the University grounds. If time permits I would also like to visit the Studebaker Museum in South Bend.  That's a lot of museums in a week and a half....

As long as I am in the area, I thought it would be fun to go to the Indy 500.  My only concern was where to park my GMC and the logistics of getting to the track.  The short story is my new friends at the Indianapolis Fire Department are going to take care of me in fine style.  I know little about Indy racing, but I am really looking forward to taking in the sounds and the sights.

My Mapquest Route is right here...  The page takes a few seconds to load...

My goal is to make a daily update to this blog...



My son Connor and I drove this truck across the United States two summers ago..  The shot above was taken in the northern most section of Yellowstone Park on the border of Wyoming and Montana. Connor will be in school so I will be making this a solo jaunt...

No comments:

Post a Comment